Speaking Advice from a famous Artist’s Manager: Ken Benson
Ken Benson recently presented a master class to opera students at Hunter College. Mr. Benson is a respected expert in the opera world and a long-time artistic manger. Mr. Benson was with Columbia Artists Management for 25 years and serves as the in-house consultant to Masters’ students of Vocal Arts at the famed Juilliard School of Music. Some of the advice he gave young singers applies equally well to speakers.
1) Don’t be perfect, be expressive.
2) Know your special qualities and strengths.
3) Know when something fits you personality-wise.
4) The first phrase (or sentence) is the most important.
5) It’s not the quantity (or how long your presentation is), but the quality.
6) It’s all about how you use words.
7) Make the speech or presentation your own.
8) Be genuine and authentic.
9) Take the audience with you, and create a transformative experience.
10) Be prepared.
Originally posted August 1, 2014.